Holistic ADHD Treatment
Although it is interesting to ask your doctor why your child may have attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the more important question is, “What are you and your child prepared to do about it?”
Holistic implies utilizing the whole individual, brain and body, in non-medication strategies or remedies that have no side-effects. Many parents seek non-prescription treatment for their daughter or son with ADHD.
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is a medical diagnosis using a series of descriptive words that immediately provides the impression of what ADHD looks like. The words “attention deficit” clearly implies that there is a problem in attention span. Either staying focused too long on one thing and not switching to a new thing or not focusing long enough on the new thing to get the jest of it, both are attention issues. The individual with ADHD is out of step, out of rhythm, and out of timing with the world around.
The word “hyperactivity” suggests movement. We think of movement as an action within a physical space, one object in relation to another or one person in relation to another. In ADHD, movement is fast in relation to other people. But it can also be slow. In school, it is easy to see these students as they are physically moving in their desk or around their workstation at a rate more quickly than their peers.
The Kindness Bracelet-
One holistic ADHD treatment involves the use of an elastic rubber band around the wrist or the use on an elastic bracelet. The rubber band or bracelet is called a “kindness bracelet”, in terms of being kind to yourself.
Start by having your child be able to recognize when they are moving more quickly or more slowly than those around them. Help them recognize when they are working too quickly and diving-in without complete directions. Sometimes your child may work too slowly and never complete their chores or school assignments, help them see themselves in these instances, too. It is important to also recognize when the pace is just perfect.
THREE STEP SELF-HELP ADHD TOOL-
STEP 1: NOTICE AND SNAP!
- Apply kindness bracelet to wrist.
- Notice other’s: a) Pace of movement, b) Pace of work performance, c) Other people’s body language.
- Notice a, b, or c and judge if you are different in either of these 3 areas. If you are moving at a different pace, or working at a different pace, or aware of others looking at you or using body language that suggest they are surprised by your actions.
- Snap your kindness bracelet at your wrist.
STEP 2: SNAP AND DO!
After you snap your kindness bracelet do one of the following:
- Do a deep breath.
- Do jumping in place, without interfering with others.
- Do squeezing a tight fist or palm acupressure.
STEP 3: RESTART!
Then restart and resume the task at hand by following these steps:
- Focus your eyes in toward the target on your desktop or the work in front of you.
- Hum very quietly while you look.
- Bring all of your attention to your work.
- Pick up you pencil, put your hands on the keyboard, resume folding your laundry and just get started!
You and your child will have fun working together on these self-help ADHD strategies. Parents and teachers are encouraged to use these productive strategies that last a lifetime. These are skills we want our daughters and sons to practice now and in the future for productive living holistically.
For more information regarding ADHD please refer to my previous blogs or you can purchase a copy of my book Unique Learner Solutions by clicking HERE!